For June 2013, we are swapping boat blocks. You can applique or piece (or foundation piece or embroider or any combination of whatever you wish) your boat. The final blocks should be 10.5" unfinished & yes, this is big BUT a lot of that is going to be background. In fact, you can make something smaller, say 6", if you like.
The guidelines are, not surprisingly, quite broad:
- Please try to avoid anything too juvenile when choosing your fabrics (& colors), as we are aiming for boat-looking boats. Yes, I know that sounds silly, but I think you know what I mean; ideally these blocks could be used in a quilt for a grown man or woman, as well as a child.
- For your background (this will be the background of your block as well as the border you may need to add to bring it up to size), please use something that is the color of the sky &/or sea. In the event you choose a block that has a boat sitting on water that is different from sky, please use the same fabric for both. This uniform setting will help our blocks all work together. If you should choose an on-point block, please be sure to set it on point, keeping it to the 10.5" square size.
- Please do not embellish with beads or what-have you. The 100% cotton fabric only rule still applies.
- 8" sailboat
- 12" sailboat could be scaled down by elimination the border
- paper pieced sailboat in several sizes
- a fleet from Quilt Inspiration