Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What would Adolf do?

Yea, I mean the Nazi icon himself, Der Führer.  & there is absolutely no reason to ask what he would do because, well, we know.  A better question is what would we do without him.  That's right, let's imagine a 24-hour period in which no one called anyone else a Nazi/Fascist/the New Hitler.  I am thinking we could roll-back all those cable channels to just the evening news.

Early last year I got so fed up I crossed all Nazi references off my radar.  If a book had Nazis or Hitler references of any kind, I didn't read it, movie-I didn't see it, song I didn't sing it... Sorry about that last one, I've been listening to a lot of Petula Clark lately & apparently it is rubbing off.  Which brings us to why I have not yet read The Girl With/Who Whatever books (or seen the movie Inglourious Basterds); I was trying to have a Nazi-free year. 

It is harder than it sounds.  Okay, parts were easier.  Not that I was ever likely to watch much Glenn Beck, but now I had a reason because the Nazis come up a lot.  Also, I no longer had to even pretend to read the books my in-laws try to foist on me because well, they are all about Nazis.  But there are some perfectly other-wise unobjectionable books with Nazis:  Pink Slip for example (where the Nazis are oh-so-incidental but still quite vivid for all that), & The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (which I had just read, so I was Okay with that).

Which bring me back to What Would Adolf Do? & I guess I should be embarrassed to say he just might do exactly what I am doing, throwing perfectly good literature, art & science (Okay, I tossed no science, but you get my point) out because it contains a reference I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment