Saturday, November 5, 2011

Holiday cookie swap guidelines

Yup, it's that time of year when we start thinking about cookie swaps.  Last year was intended to be...better than it was.  But Farley-boy dieing right there in the middle of the planning made it all too much for me to deal with.  I know he was a smelly old man who loved only me, but that was kind of what I loved about him.

This year I WILL have my act together.  & this is how it will go.  I think.

Anyone can participate, you do not have to show to win.  You can send your cookies with another person who IS coming (Tuesday, December 13th, 7:30 pm) or drop your off anytime from Monday on (although if they need to be refrigerated we need to talk beforehand) or mail ahead of time (USPS flat rate box is $4.95...I'm just saying).

You need to bring at least 2 dozen cookies.  & you need to package them somehow in units of 1/2dozen OR 1/2dozen-equivalents.  I say 1/2dozen-equivalents because some cookies are just less than others.  For example, I make these very popular, very easy nut balls every year.  They are a kind of shortbread rolled with walnuts & have maybe five ingredients, aren't really decorated & 1/2dozen of them would not overfill the palm of my hand.  I would consider a dozen of these to be roughly equal to 1/2dozen of any normal cookie.

For every 1/2dozen you have to trade, you walk away with 1/2dozen made by some one else.  If you like a good variety for the holidays, the way to go make a lot of the one or two cookies you really like making & know you won't be stuck eating them all (because there is no punishment like having to eat extra cookies). 

I know some people will be bringing 1/2dozens for people who cannot attend which is perfectly OKay.  if you think you might be interested, let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment