Saturday, May 19, 2012

The 20 minute mile

I started intervals (1 minute run, 1 minute walk) about 8 weeks ago.   As of this morning, I am up to 2 miles a day & by this time next month, it will be at least 3; my goal being to run a 5k (3.1 miles) later this year.  It will come as a surprise to no one who has ever started this sort of thing that when I first started I was walking/running about 1 mile & it took more or less the same amount of time it takes today: 45 or so minutes door to door.

During this training I have learned a few things, not the least of which is while I don't exactly feel better, I certainly don't feel worse-joint pain & muscle ache wise.  Every book I have read tells me this means I am scaling up exactly right.  A was telling me I should be "a bit more ambitious".  The last time he said this to me he was running from side to side in front of me, trying to get me to pick up speed.  He hasn't run with me since because he hurt his knee.

There is also a lot of new gear on the market since the last time I did anything like this &, not surprisingly, most of it is crap & some is so wonderful I don't know how I lived without it.  Naturally, if you were to start running with me, you would feel the same way, but probably about different things.  For example, shoe technology has passed me by.  It turns out I have ALWAYS run in the barefoot style (while wearing sneakers, conflicted I know) even when someone was trying to correct me.  As a result, high tech cushioning or impact absorbing treads are make a negligible difference to me.  I realize I am in the minority; too many runners will talk for too long about what shoes they had when they ran which course.

One new thing that I mocked (MOCKED) was the zip-front sports bra.  What a ridiculous notion.  That Ice Loves Coco is dominated by this particular wardrobe item did not add to its cache as far as I was concerned.  But I had to buy a new bra & the only one on the clearance rack that met other requirements (size, high impact) happened to be a zip-front style & since I could not bring myself to pay full-price for a different style...  To make a long story short, if you have ever been sweaty & sore & become entangled while trying to get out of your sports bra, zip-front is the way to go. 

Next week, I start with my new super skin tight leggings.  Not because I am getting chills or even chafed, but because all the sunblock on the market is not keeping me from getting burned.  I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment