Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love is all around

Love IS all around. & when I say love, I mean sex. & when I say sex, I mean gender. That's right people, it is garden time here at Useless Ranch.

First let me say none of my vegetables survived the Great Chicken Massacre of ought-nine. The chickens are fine, but they successfully annihilated all the little seedlings. I knew this would happen; I want a greenhouse.

Fortunately the G*******s have an overload & there is a box of vegetables on the counter they brought over on Saturday still being explored. When Baby G arrives I may have to conduct mid-day raids, perhaps leaving eggs in my wake. But that is a story for another post.

What we do have is an abundance of other plants. The gingers are exploding, the gladiolas, which really should have peaked by now, seem to be pushing even more blooms, the beauty berry grew almost two feet in a week. A week!!!

& then there are the shy but ever growing oxalis. My mom sent me some many years ago; I think they are her house plant of choice. I was watering the pot under the hose, lost control (I am a vigorous waterer), knocked the pot over & lost a few of the corms at the fence line. It has been an oxalis nursery ever since. If you move to a new house, get a new job, make remotely ornamental garden noises you are likely to be slapped with one of these.

They are hard to kill, easily recover even if you think you have killed them but best of all their flowers & leaves follow the sun in a day-long arc. This is actually how I tell time in my world.

1 comment:

  1. Aha! So that's] why you are keeping such a close tab on our closing date

    ReplyDelete